Monday, October 3, 2011

DIY Costume - Half Man Half Woman part 2

Here I am again working on the half man half woman costume for the our murder mystery party. In an earlier blog post, I showed a couple examples that I found online to use as inspiration along with a dress and man's shirt that I picked up. This post will show you how I've started to deconstruct these garments and begin the process of putting them together to make one awesome costume. Please bare with me as I've never done this before and there were some trials, errors and seam ripping!

Here are the three pieces that I'm working with.

4image

I thought I'd start with the pants after looking at everything for about 20 minutes and second guessing myself.
Commence seam ripping!

2image

Ten minutes later and I now have two halves.

5image

I pinned the left leg to the dress at the waist.

8image

I sat down at my sewing machine and took some deep breaths. Then stitched them together.

Image

Voila!

0image

Alright, now I'm on a roll! On to the shirt! I cut the shirt in half, leaving a little extra material on the left side for the seam allowance.

6image

Here's where it gets dicey. I cut away the left top side of the dress so I can replace it with the left side of the man's shirt. Then, I realized that I should have done this step before attaching the pant leg. Commence seam ripping.

1image


I pinned the backs of the shirt and dress together.

3image

Then sewed them together and added the left leg of the pants back on.

9image

I have quite a bit of finishing touches to do now. So, I'll be putting this on and figuring out what to do next.
Stay tuned.



1 comment:

  1. Looks good so far - how do you manage the crotch area

    ReplyDelete