Monday, September 5, 2011

Bearded Lady Costume

I'm a little obsessed with facial hair. I love it when my boyfriend grows his beard out, and I try to encourage him to go longer and longer (which never works!). I'm a huge fan of Whisker Wars, which is my favorite new TV show. I'm just obsessed! Which is why I'm so very, very happy about putting together my Halloween costume for this year's murder mystery party. As previously mentioned, we're putting on depression era carnival this year and yours truly is going to be the Bearded Lady! I am so freaking excited!

So here is a little research! I checked out some true Bearded Ladies from back in the day. Some of whom lead astonishing and inspirational lives.

Bearded_lady2

I really love the fullness of this beard and the elegantly trimmed mustache.

Bearded_lady1

This beard is a little short and thin for my tastes but I really love the dress she is wearing. Especially the sleeves and the neckline. I might look for something similar that I can put together.

So after doing a little research, I wanted to check out my options. I could buy a pre-made costume but that's never much fun.

Bearded_lady_costume

Besides, this costume is super sleazy. It's so LOOK AT MY BOOBS! How could anyone even notice that I have a beard with those bazongas in the picture? Pass!

Now here are some really great options!

Fake_beard1

This handmade beard created by CynCerelyCrocheted on Etsy sells separately from the Viking hat also pictured. I love the length and fullness of this beard but it might be too hot for the night of the party. I don't want to suffocate myself. I know the party is at the end of October, but sometimes in Arizona it's still over 100 degrees in October! This beard would be so perfect for a chilly night though.

Fake_beard2

I like this bushy beard created by PoorGirlCouture, but unfortunately it comes attached to the beanie. This would be a great way to wear the beard.. but I'm going for high-class, elegant lady with a beard. Not a bearded lady lumberjack.

Bearded_lady

Ahhh... this might be the one! This is the Bearded Lady by TheMonkeyCannon on Etsy. I wish it were a little longer and fuller, but I love the bushiness and kind of whimsical feel to this beard. It ties at the back with a strap, so I don't need to wear a hat AND it nearly matches the color of my hair. Ladies and gentlemen, I think we're in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment